We’re looking for our next Yardsticker…
You have a fundamental understanding of adult learning principles, and how to structure eLearning to meet learners’ unique needs in an online environment.
You have excellent interpersonal skills, allowing you to become a trusted advisor as you collaborate with clients to meet their training needs.
Writing concise, engaging content comes naturally to you.
Yardstick Software is looking for a passionate person to join our eLearning team in the Edmonton office as an Instructional Designer for our eLearning team! The successful candidate will be empowered to envision and shape Yardstick products, with the goal of elevating the user experience and wowing our customers. You will design and write instructionally sound eLearning courses, adhering to adult learning principles and instructional design best practices. You will create engaging and interactive eLearning programs, while working with our team of authors, illustrators, and developers.
We’d love to meet you, whether you’re looking for full-time, part-time, or contract work! So, if you think this is your gig – let us know with a brief cover letter & resume.
What would you be doing?
- Along with the Project Manager and Lead Instructional Designer, collaborate with client team leads and subject matter experts to capture key content
- Analyze content, target audience, and learner environment to identify appropriate instructional strategies for adult learners
- Define behavioural and performance-based learning objectives
- Write instructional designs that reflect our clients’ business needs and program requirements for eLearning, mLearning, and blended learning solutions
- Write engaging, interactive, and innovative courses and modules that meet project budget, schedule, and scope
- Identify, define, and/or select appropriate media to support educational goals and outcomes
- Write test questions to reinforce learning and provide feedback about learner success in achieving learning objectives
Supporting eLearning Team
- Assist production team members with authoring courses
- Support project managers and production team members by clarifying instructional strategies/goals to ensure educational goals and outcomes are met at every stage
- Assist with additional activities including instructional design and writing for marketing proposals, award applications, demos, concept papers, and blogs
- Participate in the continuous improvement of processes and deliverables
What qualities are we looking for?
- Degree (preferred) or diploma in education, instructional technology, training and development, English, or communications, with a focus in instructional design or adult learning
- Solid understanding of adult learning principles
- Ability to design instructional materials based on complex content
- 3-5 years of experience implementing key adult educational theories and approaches to create sound learning objectives and educational programs
- 1-3 years of experience with Articulate Storyline (preferred) or Adobe Captivate
- Ability to communicate information and ideas clearly and concisely in writing
- Willingness to stay current with instructional methodologies
- Understanding of the unique challenges of online training compared to in-person/classroom
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills, including the ability to collaborate with clients and become a trusted advisor
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to participate on multiple projects with overlapping timelines, and flexibility to meet the changing priorities and needs of various clients, learners, and budgets
- Someone who shares our core values:
- Random Acts of Kindness
- Embrace the Entrepreneurial Spirit
- A Fearless Pursuit of Excellence
- Customer Delight Heroes
- Honest & Empowered People
Why join Yardstick?
- Competitive salary range
- 100% company-funded medical and dental benefits (for you AND your family!)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 17+ days of flexible Paid Time Off
- Fancy latte machine, to keep you highly caffeinated
- An active Social Committee and competitive House system (yes, like Harry Potter…)