Yardstick Corporate Location
Edmonton, AB /Toronto, ON Classification
Full time, Monday - Friday Hours
8:30 - 5:00 PM
We’re looking for our next Yardsticker…
You want to be on the cutting edge of innovation. A leader and pioneer – writing and publishing open source code for others to benefit from.
You’re passionate about coding. Especially in Ruby/ROR. It’s more than just a hobby; it’s something you immerse yourself in at every chance you get.
You’re a collaborative team player, looking to support and learn from the others around you.
Yardstick is looking for an ambitious, talented Full Stack Ruby Developer to join our team. The successful candidate will design and develop new features for our proprietary exam delivery software platform, Measure, in collaboration with our Edmonton- and Toronto-based teams. We’re a collaborative and innovative team, looking for someone who wants to shape the future of a platform that has huge impact in the world of professional testing.
We’re growing rapidly, and the opportunities are growing with us. We’d love to meet you, so if you think this is your gig – let us know with a brief cover letter & resume.
What would you be doing?
- Design and develop feature enhancements and new features for our leading-edge exam delivery platform based on provided specifications
- Collaborate with the Exam Delivery team to improve the products and features we offer to our clients
- Write tests, release & monitor your code, and participate in peer code review & some QA in an Agile environment
- Own project work to deliver a feature set on a schedule with a deadline
- Recommend and participate in codebase refactoring
- Writing clean, well-thought-out, high quality, reliable code
- Shape the future of the Yardstick Measure platform
- Investigate and identify bug reports and proactively offer solutions / fixes with a fast turnaround time
- Participate in support and feature triage & ticket specification
- Participate in off-hours/on-call rotation response team during platform emergencies or maintenance
What qualities are we looking for?
- 3-5 years of professional programming experience (preferably Ruby) and developing web applications in fast-paced development environment with multiple projects and priorities
- Post-secondary in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field an asset
- Bilingualism in French and English an asset
- Proactive approach to analyzing and delivering technical solutions to business problems
- Thorough understanding and experience working with Ruby-on-Rails framework and testing with automated systems
- Knowledge and experience with PostgreSQL and SQL
- Proficiency in building user interfaces with CoffeeScript/HTML/CSS/angular.js/HAML
- Experience working with Redis
- Experience deploying to Docker/Deis Workflow/Kubernetes-based environments an asset
- Strong communication skills, and ability to explain technical concepts to a range of individuals from developers to clients
- Interest and integrity to work primarily with a team based in Edmonton, from our Ottawa office
- High level of attention to detail
- Experience developing web applications
- Preference will be given to candidates who also have experience in strongly-typed programming languages (Java, C#, Go, etc.)
- Someone who shares our core values: Random Acts of Kindness, Embrace the Entrepreneurial Spirit, A Fearless Pursuit of Excellence, Customer Delight Heroes and Honest & Empowered People
Why join Yardstick?
- Competitive salary
- 100% company-funded medical and dental benefits (for you AND your family!)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 17+ days of flexible Paid Time Off
- RRSP Matching Program
- Sleek and shiny MacBook
- Coffee machine, to keep you highly caffeinated
- An active Social Committee